|Acquired:||Talash system first tested with Sayyad-3 missile in December 2016, Sayyad-2 missile entered production in November 2013|
|Country of origin:||Iran|
|Introduced:||Talash system: Unveiled September 2014; Sayyad-2 missile: first tested in 2011; Sayyad-3 missile: Unveiled April 2014|
|Class:||Mid-to-long range surface-to-air missile system|
|Range:||Sayyad-2: 49.7-93.2 miles (80-150 km); Sayyad-3: 124.3 miles (200 km)|
|Altitude:||Sayyad-2: 65,617-98,425 ft (20,000-30,000 m); Sayyad-3: 98,425+ ft (30,000+ m)|
|Warhead:||Frag-high explosive (HE)|
|Length:||Sayyad-2: 15+ ft (4.6 m); Sayyad-3: 17+ ft (5.2 m)|
|Diameter:||13.5 inch (0.34 m)|
|Propellant:||Tow-stage solid propellant|
|Guidance System:||Radar homing possibly with mid-course guidance system|
|Missiles:||Sayyad-2, Sayyad-3, S-200|
|Radar(s):||Search: Arash-2 or Kayhan 2D phased array radars capable of tracking 30 targets up to (100 km) away and engaging 12 — reportedly can also integrate with larger early warning radars|
|Fire control: Ofoq radar|
|Command and Control:||Talash system|
|Launch Platform:||Towed launcher carrying 2-4 Patriot-like canisters|
|Notes:||Based on the SM-1 missile acquired from the U.S. before 1979 for the Iranian Navy|
|Intended to intercept UAVs, cruise missiles, and high-performance aircraft|
|Frequently referred to in three variants with Talash-1 using only the Sayyad-2 missiles, the Talash-2 featuring integration with the Sayyad-2 and S-200 missiles, and the Talash-3 using Sayyad-2 and Sayyad-3 missiles|
- “Indigenous missile system to be deployed in central Iran: Cmdr.,” Press TV, September 27, 2016.
- “Iran Unveils New Home-Made Radar Systems,” Fars News, September 2, 2014.
- Jeremy Binnie, “Iran tests Talash air defence system,” IHS Jane’s Defence Weekly, January 4, 2017.
- “Iran: Sayyad 3 Missiles Mounted on S-200 Defense System,” Fars News, April 26, 2014.
- “DM: Iran to Double Range of Qadir Cruise Missile, Readying to Test-Fire Long-Range Sayyad Missile,” Fars News, August 25, 2014.
- Jeremy Binnie, “Iran rolls out another medium-range SAM,” IHS Jane’s Defence Weekly, November 12, 2013.
- “Iran starts mass-production of ‘Sayyad-2’ surface-to-air missile,” Trend, November 9, 2013.
- “Iran unveils new Talash-3 surface-to-air missile,” The Associated Press, September 2, 2014.
- “Iran’s Air Defense Missile System ‘Talash’ Fully Indigenized,” Tasnim News Agency, August 31, 2015.
- Tamir Eshel, “Iran Test Fires Sayyad-3 High Altitude SAM,” Defense Update, December 29, 2016.
Iran’s S-200 air defense system has been equipped with domestically manufactured Sayyad-3 missiles, the deputy commander of the Khatam-ol-Anbiya Air Defense Base announced on Saturday. Brigadier General Shahrokh Shahram said that Sayyad-3 missiles are able to hit targets at medium altitudes. Iranian experts had previously upgraded the Russian-made long-range medium-to-high altitude surface-to-air S-200 air defense […]
The production line of the “Sayyad-2” surface-to-air missile was inaugurated in Iran in a ceremony attended by the country’s Defence Minister, Hussein Dehghan, Tasnim news portal reported on Nov. 9. Dehghan underlined that, the Sayyad-2 missile uses solid-fuel engine, adding that it benefits combined guidance system with high operation capabilities. Sayyad-2 is an upgraded version […]
Tehran – Iran’s Defence Minister Hossein Dehqan on Saturday inaugurated the production line of an anti-missile system dubbed the Sayyad-2 (Hunter 2), media reported. “In order to counter aerial attack, we have put the production of the Sayyad-2 missile system on the agenda,” Dehqan said on state television during the inauguration ceremony. “This solid-fuel missile […]