|Country of origin:||Iran|
|Manufacturer:||Aerospace Industries Organization|
|Introduced:||First test in October 2015|
|Class:||Medium-range ballistic missile (MRBM)|
|Range:||1056.3 miles (1,700 km)|
|Warhead:||1653.5 lbs (750) kg high-explosive payload — capable of carrying nuclear, chemical, or biological payloads|
|Weight:||40,344 – 41,887 lbs (18,300 – 19,000 kg)2|
|Length:||55.8 ft (17 m)2|
|Diameter:||4.1 – 4.5 ft (1.25 – 1.38 m)2|
|Guidance System:||Assumedly GPS and/or inertial|
|Accuracy:||1,640 ft (500 m)|
|Launch Platform:||Road mobile transporter erector launcher|
|Notes:||1According to open-source reports, the missile has already been provided to IRGC units, and is being stockpiled in underground bunkers run by the IRGC.|
|2Open-source analysis attests that the Emad is built off of an advance variant of the Shahab-3 — likely the Shahab-3B.|
- “Iran Transfers Batch of Emad Missiles to New Underground Missile Town,” Fars News Agency (Iran), January 5, 2016.
- Jeremy Binnie, “Iran Reveals Range of Emad Ballistic Missile,” IHS Jane’s, November 19, 2015.
- “IRGC Receives Latest Domestically-Built Ballistic Missile,” Press TV (Iran), December, 28 2015.
- Anthony H. Cordesman, “Iran’s Rocket and Missile Forces and Strategic Options,” Center for Strategic and International Studies, October 7, 2014, p 99.
- Anthony H. Cordesman, “Iran, Missiles, and Nuclear Weapons,” Center for Strategic and International Studies, December 9, 2015.
- Jen Judson, “Syring on Threats: ‘The Game Has Been Escalated,’” Defense News, August 17, 2016.
- Debalina Ghoshal, “Emad: Iran’s New Ballistic Missile amid the Nuclear Deal,” Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, October 23, 2015.
- Jeremy Binnie and Neil Gibson, “Iran Unveils ‘High Precision’ Emad Ballistic Missile,’” IHS Jane’s, October 14, 2015.
- Abbas Qaidaari, “What’s so special about Iran’s latest missile?,” Al Monitor, October 20, 2015.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) test-fired several ballistic missiles on Tuesday, state television said, challenging a United Nations resolution and drawing a threat of a diplomatic response from the United States. Two months ago, Washington imposed sanctions against businesses and individuals linked to Iran’s missile program over a test of the medium-range Emad missile […]
Iran unveiled a new underground missile depot on Tuesday with state television showing Emad precision-guided missiles in store which the United States says can take a nuclear warhead and violate a 2010 U.N. Security Council resolution. The defiant move to publicize Iran’s missile program seemed certain to irk the United States as it plans to […]
The Emad ‘guided ballistic missile’ that was unveiled on 11 October has a range of 1,700 km, the Fars News Agency cited Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh, the commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Force, as saying on 12 November. When the Emad was unveiled, it was clear it is not an […]
Since the July 2015 announcement of the nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Iran has tested as many as 14 ballistic missiles. This number is based on aggregated open-source reporting, as no official government or United Nations numbers have been made available to the public. Although the deal did not address […]
Iran reportedly tried to test yet another ballistic missile last week – the latest in a series of tests dating back to October. Despite the launch’s failure, it succeeded in a larger goal: continuing Tehran’s experimentation with delivery vehicles that could be topped with a nuclear warhead. The test was a brazen act of defiance […]