U.S. and partner nation military forces continued to attack ISIS terrorists in Syria Dec. 22 using fighter and bomber aircraft to conduct twelve airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and partner nation military forces conducted ten airstrikes in Iraq Dec. 22 using fighter, bomber, and attack aircraft against the ISIS terrorists. These engagements were in support of the 7th Iraqi Army, local police and tribal fighters engaged in fighting with ISIS forces in the vicinity of Dulab.
The following is a summary of those strikes:
* Near Kobani, six airstrikes destroyed six ISIS fighting positions and struck four ISIS fighting positions and an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Aleppo, three airstrikes destroyed artillery equipment and struck ten ISIS buildings.
* Near Al Hasakah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIS tactical vehicle, two ISIS trucks, an ISIS building, and two ISIS storage containers.
* Near Ar Raqqah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIS checkpoint complex.
* Near Sinjar, three airstrikes destroyed three ISIS tactical vehicles, three ISIS trucks, five ISIS buildings and struck two large ISIS units and an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Al Asad, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIS tactical vehicle and struck two ISIS tactical units.
* Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIS checkpoint.
* Near Ramadi, an airstrike destroyed two ISIS vehicles, an ISIS building and struck an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Mosul, an airstrike destroyed an ISIS vehicle.
* Near Fallujah, an airstrike destroyed two ISIS buildings and struck a weapons factory complex.
All aircraft returned to base safely. Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIS terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, the region and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIS targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition Nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.