|Cost:||$1 million per interceptor ($850 million for development provided by the U.S. since 2006)|
|Country of origin:||Israel with development and funding support from the United States|
|Manufacturer:||Interceptors: Rafael and Raytheon|
|Radar: Elta Systems|
|Battle management system: Elbit System|
|Introduced:||2016 (First tested in November 2012)|
|Class:||Medium-range air and missile defense system|
|Range:||25-186 miles (40-300 km)|
|Altitude:||49,213 ft (15 km)|
|Speed:||5,754 mph (Mach 7.5 / 9,261 km/h)|
|Propellant:||Multipulse solid rocket motor|
|Guidance System:||Radar and electro-optical|
|Missiles:||Stunner two-stage missile|
|Radar(s):||ELM-2084 multi-mission 3D Active Eelectronic Scanned Array (AESA) radar|
|Launch Platform:||16 canister trailer based launcher. Can also be rail launched.|
|Notes:||Intended to provide the low-to-middle tier defense layer (above Iron Dome but below Arrow 2) and replace Israel’s Patriot PAC-2 systems.|
|Will defend against long-range rockets, short-range ballisitic missiles, and slow-moving cruise missiles.|
|Uses Elbit’s Golden Almond command and control system.|
|Also called Magic Wand.|
- Jeremy M. Sharp, “U.S. Foreign Aid to Israel,” Congressional Research Service, June 10, 2015.
- “Stunner Missile Interceptor System, Israel,” Army-Technology.com, Kable, 2016.
- Raytheon/Rafael, Product Brochure, “Stunner – Terminal Missile Defense Interceptor,” 2007.
- Israel Aerospace Industries – ELTA Systems, Product Brochure, “Multi-Mission Radar Family – ELM-2084 MMR,” June 2014.
- AIPAC, Memo, “David’s Sling Addresses Growing Missile Threats,” April 29, 2015.
- Anthony H. Cordesman, Iran’s Rocket and Missile Forces and Strategic Options, (New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014), page 160.
- “Israel’s David’s Sling missile defense system set to begin advanced trials,” Xinhua, December 4, 2014.
- Yossi Melman, “Israel’s missile-defense system could crumble at the moment of truth,” The Jerusalem Post, October 26, 2013.
- Yuval Azulai, “David’s Sling to be operational this year,” Globes, January 4, 2015.
A number of measures for Israel have been attached to a defense spending bill approved in the U.S. House of Representatives, including $600 million in missile defense cooperation. The American Israel Public Affairs Committee on Thursday welcomed the missile defense component of National Defense Authorization Act, the bill that outlines defense spending policies. The spending […]
Negotiations meant to enshrine U.S. defense aid for Israel over the next decade have snagged on disputes about the size, scope and fine print of a new multibillion-dollar package, officials say. Five months into the talks, several U.S. and Israeli officials disclosed details about the disputes to Reuters on condition of anonymity. The U.S. and […]
Another bipartisan push is afoot by US lawmakers to bolster funding for Israel’s missile defense beyond what is requested by the president in the fiscal 2017 defense budget. While several influential lawmakers are calling for added funding for such US-Israeli partnership efforts like the Iron Dome air defense system, David’s Sling, a medium- and long-range air defense system, and […]
The Israel Air Force launched several Patriot missiles near Palmahim in central Israel Monday, signaling the end of a joint military exercise with the U.S. military named “Juniper Cobra,” which simulated a series of missile and rocket attacks against Israel. Some of the 1,700 U.S. troops that were stationed in Israel to participate in the […]
A joint exercise now being conducted between thousands of Israeli troops and the U.S. European Command represents a final test before Israel begins to deploy one of the most sophisticated missile defense systems in the world. When it is complete, Israel’s multibillion-dollar rocket and missile air defense system will be far superior to anything in […]
Israel’s Missile Defense Organization and state-owned Rafael have started delivering major components of the new US-Israel David’s Sling Weapon System (DSWS) to its intended user, the Israel Air Force. In a statement Tuesday, Israel’s Defense Ministry announced that the delivery process is taking place gradually, according to the DSWS development plan. The first phase includes […]
Israel’s Arrow 3 ballistic missile defence system is “very close” to being operational, a senior Israel Air Force (IAF) officer said on 25 February. The successful Arrow 3 interception test carried out in December 2015 has brought forward the system’s initial operating capability date, which is now expected before the end of 2016, the source […]
The Israel Defense Forces’ (IDF) latest five-year plan, roughly half of the 310 billion shekel ($78.6 billion) projected for defense spending through 2020, aims to bulk up cyber-protected, networked combat capabilities while cutting back on manpower and non-combat support services. Dubbed Gideon, the plan is designed to augment the IDF’s capacity to fight in multiple […]
Congress on Friday passed an omnibus spending measure that appropriates $487 million for US-Israel missile defense programs and $40 million for a new US-Israel tunnel detection program, earning accolades from the pro-Israel American Israel Public Affairs Committee. This year’s package, however, allocates $132 million less to Israeli missile defense than last year’s, as the US […]
Israel is said to have finalized its “shopping list” of desired US military material as part of a new long-term agreement for US defense assistance to Israel to maintain its qualitative edge in the region. On the list, and reportedly approved in principle by the US, is an Israeli request for V-22 Ospreys, planes which […]
S.1356 – National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 – Signed into law on November 5, 2015. Within the law several sections authorize military assistance to Israel, including:
- (Sec. 1279) Authorizes DOD to carry out research, development, test, and evaluation jointly with Israel to establish anti-tunnel capabilities to detect, map, and neutralize underground tunnels that threaten the United States or Israel. Requires DOD, prior to carrying out the activities, to submit a report and certification to Congress regarding a memorandum of agreement between the United States and Israel addressing the sharing of costs, a framework for negotiating the rights to intellectual property developed, and reports on expenditures. Authorizes DOD to provide procurement, maintenance, and sustainment assistance to Israel in support of the anti-tunnel capabilities research, development, test, and evaluation activities authorized in this section if Israel matches the contribution. Requires DOD to designate a research and development entity of a military department as the lead agency in carrying out this section.
- (Sec. 1678) Authorizes appropriations to be provided to Israel for the Iron Dome short-range rocket defense system. Requires the funds to be subject to the “Agreement Between the Department of Defense of the United States of America and the Ministry of Defense of the State of Israel Concerning Iron Dome Defense System Procurement.” Requires DOD to submit to Congress prior to obligating funds: (1) a certification that the Agreement is being successfully implemented, and (2) an assessment of risks relating to the implementation of the Agreement.
- (Sec. 1679) Authorizes appropriations for procurement and coproduction of the Israeli David’s Sling Weapons System and the Arrow 3 Upper Tier missile defense system, subject to specified terms and conditions.
H.R. 938 -The U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act, declares that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and was introduced on March 4, 2013.
- Amends the Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012 to extend authority to: (1) make additions to foreign-based defense stockpiles, and (2) transfer certain obsolete or surplus Department of Defense (DOD) items to Israel.
- Authorizes the President to carry out U.S.-Israel cooperative activities and to provide assistance for cooperation in the fields of energy, water, homeland security, agriculture, and alternative fuel technologies.
- Amends the the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 to extend the grant program for U.S.-Israeli cooperation on research, development, and commercialization of renewable energy or energy efficiency.
- Expresses the sense of Congress that the United States and Israel should increase cyber-security cooperation.
- Urges the President to provide assistance for enhancement of the David’s Sling Weapon System, the joint United States-Israel Arrow Weapon System, and the Iron Dome short-range rocket defense system.