|Cost:||$1 million per interceptor ($850 million for development provided by the U.S. since 2006)|
|Acquired:||Initial components delivered in March 2016; Declared operational April 2017|
|Country of origin:||Israel with development and funding support from the United States|
|Manufacturer:||Interceptors: Rafael and Raytheon|
|Radar: Elta Systems|
|Battle management system: Elbit System|
|Introduced:||2016 (First tested in November 2012)|
|Class:||Medium-range air and missile defense system|
|Range:||25-186 miles (40-300 km)|
|Altitude:||49,213 ft (15 km)|
|Speed:||5,754 mph (Mach 7.5 / 9,261 km/h)|
|Propellant:||Multipulse solid rocket motor|
|Guidance System:||Radar and electro-optical|
|Missiles:||Stunner two-stage missile|
|Radar(s):||Elta Systems ELM-2084 multi-mission 3D Active Eelectronic Scanned Array (AESA) radar|
|Launch Platform:||16 canister trailer based launcher. Can also be rail launched.|
|Notes:||Intended to provide the low-to-middle tier defense layer (above Iron Dome but below Arrow 2) and replace Israel’s Patriot PAC-2 systems.|
|Will defend against long-range rockets, short-range ballisitic missiles, and slow-moving cruise missiles.|
|Uses Elbit’s Golden Almond command and control system.|
|Also called Magic Wand.|
- Jeremy M. Sharp, “U.S. Foreign Aid to Israel,” Congressional Research Service, June 10, 2015.
- “Stunner Missile Interceptor System, Israel,” Army-Technology.com, Kable, 2016.
- Raytheon/Rafael, Product Brochure, “Stunner – Terminal Missile Defense Interceptor,” 2007.
- Israel Aerospace Industries – ELTA Systems, Product Brochure, “Multi-Mission Radar Family – ELM-2084 MMR,” June 2014.
- AIPAC, Memo, “David’s Sling Addresses Growing Missile Threats,” April 29, 2015.
- Anthony H. Cordesman, Iran’s Rocket and Missile Forces and Strategic Options, (New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014), page 160.
- “Israel’s David’s Sling missile defense system set to begin advanced trials,” Xinhua, December 4, 2014.
- Yossi Melman, “Israel’s missile-defense system could crumble at the moment of truth,” The Jerusalem Post, October 26, 2013.
- Yuval Azulai, “David’s Sling to be operational this year,” Globes, January 4, 2015.
In Sunday ceremonies marking operational deployment of the jointly developed U.S.-Israel David’s Sling Weapon System, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned: “Whoever seeks to hit us will be hit. Whoever threatens our existence places himself in existential danger.” Speaking ahead of the Israeli defense minister, Air Force commander and other dignitaries at the Hatzor Airbase, […]
A joint U.S.-Israel missile interceptor will be operational in early April, completing Israel’s multilayer defense system, a senior Israeli Air Force official said Monday. David’s Sling is meant to counter medium-range missiles possessed by Iranian-backed Hezbollah militants in Lebanon. When the interceptor becomes operational, it will mark the completion of the multilayer system. That includes […]
Israel has completed successful tests of an advanced version of its ‘David’s Sling’ intermediate missile interceptor system that it is developing jointly with the United States, the Defence Ministry said on Wednesday. The system is designed to shoot down rockets with ranges of 100 to 200 km (63 to 125 miles) such as those in […]
A day ahead of a government shutdown deadline, Congress scrambled on Thursday to wrap-up unfinished business, voting decisively to send President Barack Obama a defense policy bill, including more than $600 million for missile defense cooperation with Israel. The Senate passed the defense legislation by a wide margin, 92-7, a week after the House overwhelmingly […]
A number of measures for Israel have been attached to a defense spending bill approved in the U.S. House of Representatives, including $600 million in missile defense cooperation. The American Israel Public Affairs Committee on Thursday welcomed the missile defense component of National Defense Authorization Act, the bill that outlines defense spending policies. The spending […]
Negotiations meant to enshrine U.S. defense aid for Israel over the next decade have snagged on disputes about the size, scope and fine print of a new multibillion-dollar package, officials say. Five months into the talks, several U.S. and Israeli officials disclosed details about the disputes to Reuters on condition of anonymity. The U.S. and […]
Another bipartisan push is afoot by US lawmakers to bolster funding for Israel’s missile defense beyond what is requested by the president in the fiscal 2017 defense budget. While several influential lawmakers are calling for added funding for such US-Israeli partnership efforts like the Iron Dome air defense system, David’s Sling, a medium- and long-range air defense system, and […]
The Israel Air Force launched several Patriot missiles near Palmahim in central Israel Monday, signaling the end of a joint military exercise with the U.S. military named “Juniper Cobra,” which simulated a series of missile and rocket attacks against Israel. Some of the 1,700 U.S. troops that were stationed in Israel to participate in the […]
A joint exercise now being conducted between thousands of Israeli troops and the U.S. European Command represents a final test before Israel begins to deploy one of the most sophisticated missile defense systems in the world. When it is complete, Israel’s multibillion-dollar rocket and missile air defense system will be far superior to anything in […]
Israel’s Missile Defense Organization and state-owned Rafael have started delivering major components of the new US-Israel David’s Sling Weapon System (DSWS) to its intended user, the Israel Air Force. In a statement Tuesday, Israel’s Defense Ministry announced that the delivery process is taking place gradually, according to the DSWS development plan. The first phase includes […]
S.2943 – National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017 – Passed both Houses of Congress on December 8, 2016. Within the law several sections authorize military assistance to Israel, including:
- SEC. 1250. UNITED STATES-ISRAEL DIRECTED ENERGY COOPERATION.(a) Authority To Establish Directed Energy Capabilities Program With Israel.—(1) IN GENERAL.—The Secretary of Defense, upon the request of the Ministry of Defense of Israel, and with the concurrence of the Secretary of State, may carry out research, development, test, and evaluation activities, on a joint basis with Israel, to establish directed energy capabilities to detect and defeat ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, unmanned aerial vehicles, mortars, and improvised explosive devices that threaten the United States, deployed forces of the United States, or Israel. Any activities carried out pursuant to such authority shall be conducted in a manner that appropriately protects sensitive information and the national security interests of the United States and Israel. Continue reading “S.2943 – National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017” »
S.1356 – National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 – Signed into law on November 5, 2015. Within the law several sections authorize military assistance to Israel, including:
- (Sec. 1279) Authorizes DOD to carry out research, development, test, and evaluation jointly with Israel to establish anti-tunnel capabilities to detect, map, and neutralize underground tunnels that threaten the United States or Israel. Requires DOD, prior to carrying out the activities, to submit a report and certification to Congress regarding a memorandum of agreement between the United States and Israel addressing the sharing of costs, a framework for negotiating the rights to intellectual property developed, and reports on expenditures. Authorizes DOD to provide procurement, maintenance, and sustainment assistance to Israel in support of the anti-tunnel capabilities research, development, test, and evaluation activities authorized in this section if Israel matches the contribution. Requires DOD to designate a research and development entity of a military department as the lead agency in carrying out this section.
- (Sec. 1678) Authorizes appropriations to be provided to Israel for the Iron Dome short-range rocket defense system. Requires the funds to be subject to the “Agreement Between the Department of Defense of the United States of America and the Ministry of Defense of the State of Israel Concerning Iron Dome Defense System Procurement.” Requires DOD to submit to Congress prior to obligating funds: (1) a certification that the Agreement is being successfully implemented, and (2) an assessment of risks relating to the implementation of the Agreement.
- (Sec. 1679) Authorizes appropriations for procurement and coproduction of the Israeli David’s Sling Weapons System and the Arrow 3 Upper Tier missile defense system, subject to specified terms and conditions.
H.R. 938 -The U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act, declares that Israel is a major strategic partner of the United States and was introduced on March 4, 2013.
- Amends the Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012 to extend authority to: (1) make additions to foreign-based defense stockpiles, and (2) transfer certain obsolete or surplus Department of Defense (DOD) items to Israel.
- Authorizes the President to carry out U.S.-Israel cooperative activities and to provide assistance for cooperation in the fields of energy, water, homeland security, agriculture, and alternative fuel technologies.
- Amends the the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 to extend the grant program for U.S.-Israeli cooperation on research, development, and commercialization of renewable energy or energy efficiency.
- Expresses the sense of Congress that the United States and Israel should increase cyber-security cooperation.
- Urges the President to provide assistance for enhancement of the David’s Sling Weapon System, the joint United States-Israel Arrow Weapon System, and the Iron Dome short-range rocket defense system.