|Status:||In Service||In Service||In Service|
|Country of origin:||Iran|
|Manufacturer:||Iran Aircraft Manufacturing Industrial Company|
|Take-Off:||Conventional Take-off (CTOL)|
|Landing:||Conventional Landing (CTOL)|
|Power plant:||Small propeller driven piston engine (potentially smuggled from Germany and Ireland)|
|Wingspan:||16.4 ft (5 m)*|
|Length:||11.5 ft (3.5 m)*|
|Height:||3.3 ft (1 m)*|
|Maximum takeoff weight:|
|Speed:||124.3 mph (200 km/h)|
|Ceiling:||16,404.2 ft (5,000 m)|
|Range:||62.1 miles (100 km)|
|Operators:||2 to 3|
|Radar/Sensors:||Nightvision capable Electro-optics|
|Note:||At least two downed in Sudan and two in Syria. US forces in Iraq may have downed another in 2009.|
|May also been known as the Zagil|
- Binnie, Jeremy. “Iranian Media Identifies Ababil-3 UAV.” IHS Jane’s 360. IHS Jane’s Defence Weekly, 7 July 2014. Web. 08 July 2014.
- Alfred, Charlotte. “Germany Tries Iranians Accused Of Smuggling Drone Engines As Jet Ski Parts.” The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 16 June 2014. Web. 08 July 2014.
- Dörrie, Peter. “Sudan’s Drones Are Dropping Like Flies.” Medium. N.p., 5 May 2014. Web. 08 July 2014.
- “The Drones Club.” Africa Confidential. N.p., 5 Sept. 2008. Web. 08 July 2014.
- Hartley, Aidan. “Iranian Drone Contained Irish Parts.” The Daily Mail. N.p., 8 Apr. 2012. Web. 08 July 2014.
- Nordland, Rod, and Alissa J. Rubin. “U.S. Military Says It Shot Down an Iranian Drone Over Iraq.” The New York Times. The New York Times, 16 Mar. 2009. Web. 08 July 2014.
Lebanon’s militant Shia group, Hezbollah, has constructed an airstrip in the northern Bekaa Valley for its unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), an analysis of satellite images suggests. Located in a remote and sparsely populated area 10 km south of the town of Hermel and 18 km west of the Syrian border, the airstrip was built sometime […]
Ababil-3A Kurdish newspaper is reporting that an Iranian drone crashed west of Tirkit, Iraq, where Iranian Quds Forces are working with Iraq soldiers to retake Tikrit from ISIS militants. Iran has flown drones over Iraq since last year when militants with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria started over taking Iraqi forces in Northern […]
The Commander of the Air Force’s drone squadron reported on Sunday their intentions to increase the amount of home-made drones in the next five years and to start planning missions for long-range drones. “We are also after increasing the flight duration of drones and their armaments and electronic war systems for possible asymmetric wars,” he said. According to senior Iranian officials, the Air Force has made […]
Despite a years-long history of intermittently sniping at one another’s drones in the skies over Iraq, Afghanistan and the Arabian Gulf, the United States and Iran have for the most part avoided each other in the air. But with the US now flying about 50 missions a day over Iraq and a dedicated Iranian drone […]
The Iranian media has for the first time identified the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that has been exported to Sudan and used extensively in Syria as the Ababil-3. The Fars News Agency (FNA) published a story on 1 July saying that the Ababil-3 has a top speed of 200 km/h, a range of 100 km, […]
Iran’s hi-tech drone, Ababil-3 (Swallow-3), is capable of flying a top speed of 200 kilometers per hour and enjoys a night vision capability, enabling it to take image and footage as it is flying over targets day and night. The drone has a flying range of 100 kilometers and a top speed of 200 kilometers […]